[sf-lug] Ubuntu User wannabe!

jim jim at systemateka.com
Thu Jan 6 15:23:41 PST 2011

   a good thing to do is to get a "live CD" of some
distribution and try it out on your netbook.
   a better thing to do is to research to find out
if there are any problems with using linux on your
netbook, and if so, are there any distributions
that don't have problems.
   the good thing is soooo much easier than the
better thing.
   come to a SF-LUG meeting:
* every wednesday evening from 6 to 8 PM at
  noisebridge (in SF at 2169 mission street between
  17th and 18th streets on the third floor, but you
  know that).
* third monday of each month at the cafe enchante in
  sf on geary at 26th avenue (jim gives rides
  afterward--up to three people).
* first sunday of each month at the cafe enchante in
  sf on geary at 26th avenue (jim gives rides
  afterward for this, too).

   get one or more of us to come to you or come to
one or more of us to hold your hand, even bring you
a live cd (there are usually live cds at noisebridge).

   come to noisebridge on tuesdays or fridays between
3 and 6 PM and join the linux sysadm study group and
make some of them help you.

   you might wonder "which distribution?" ubuntu?
fedora? debian? arch? mandriva? one of the many, many
others?
   a good rule is to choose a distribution that's used
by some people you know and hang out with (you can
always hang out with us).