[sf-lug] Ubuntu User wannabe!

ashish makani ashish.makani at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 15:05:19 PST 2011

Hi Molly,

Very funny post...God knows lug mailing lists can use some humor, every now
& then :)

I am not, what you call an "expert", but more of an enthusiast.

1. The flavour of ubuntu,you need for a netbook, as you probably already
know, is called ubuntu netbook remix.
http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook

2. I would recommend dual boot, i.e. at startup, you choose, whether you
want to boot into windows or ubuntu.
Some useful links...would definitely help if you read these
a. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1652358
b. http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p22.html
step by step instructions
c. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1622388
d.
http://alexsantidote.com/ubuntu/install-ubuntu-904-netbook-remix-dual-boot/

I could help you some weekend, not sure if this weekend though, email me off
list & we can try to figure out something

Linux Rocks !

cheers
ashish
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Molly Bee <mountainoceansky at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi All!
>
> I am currently a Windows Luser, because, well, see what happened was, I was
> boughted this new netbook? And it's running some horrid Windows 7 Starter
> kit? And it makes me taste blood every time I use it, probably from chewing
> angrily on my own tongue.
>
> So, I would like to change my OS to some appropriate flavour of Ubuntu,
> which is where you friendly folks come in. Obviously, my new netbook (HP
> Mini 110-3100) is smaller than the typical newfangled lapdancer, with 1 GB
> of RAM, a 1.66 GHz Intel Atom processor, and 232.88 GB of storage space. I
> thought it was 250, but apparently woodland creatures crept in through my
> Windows and gobbled part of it?
>
> I've been researching on the Internetz and Ubuntu wubsites specifically,
> and it looks pretty simple to download the install version of my choice to a
> dingle-dangle USB device, and boot from that, but I wanted to ask an elite
> and trusted group of Linux Users before I fracked with my shiny outa-the-box
> machine. It's important to note the machine is blue-- this is a key selling
> point, exactly what I want in a machine... blueness on the back of the
> screen. Ahem.
>
> Also important to note, I am a recovering Luddite, and I would really
> appreciate anyone holding my hand through this seemingly-simple, yet
> daunting process of glitch-free OS-switchover. I can repay your kindness
> with dehydrated huckleberries or black chanterelles or sommat like that.
>
> Hugs,
> Molly

Warm Regards
ashish makani

Cell : +1.765.237.8365
amakani at purdue.edu
ashish.makani at gmail.com

Graduate Student, Deptt. of ECE, Purdue University
#329 Electrical Engineering Building ,  465 Northwestern Ave.,
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2035

"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life,
when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic
about."
-- Albert Einstein