[sf-lug] Ubuntu User wannabe!

Molly Bee mountainoceansky at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 14:24:22 PST 2011

Hi All!

I am currently a Windows Luser, because, well, see what happened was, I was boughted this new netbook? And it's running some horrid Windows 7 Starter kit? And it makes me taste blood every time I use it, probably from chewing angrily on my own tongue.

So, I would like to change my OS to some appropriate flavour of Ubuntu, which is where you friendly folks come in. Obviously, my new netbook (HP Mini 110-3100) is smaller than the typical newfangled lapdancer, with 1 GB of RAM, a 1.66 GHz Intel Atom processor, and 232.88 GB of storage space. I thought it was 250, but apparently woodland creatures crept in through my Windows and gobbled part of it?

I've been researching on the Internetz and Ubuntu wubsites specifically, and it looks pretty simple to download the install version of my choice to a dingle-dangle USB device, and boot from that, but I wanted to ask an elite and trusted group of Linux Users before I fracked with my shiny outa-the-box machine. It's important to note the machine is blue-- this is a key selling point, exactly what I want in a machine... blueness on the back of the screen. Ahem.

Also important to note, I am a recovering Luddite, and I would really appreciate anyone holding my hand through this seemingly-simple, yet daunting process of glitch-free OS-switchover. I can repay your kindness with dehydrated huckleberries or black chanterelles or sommat like that.

Hugs,
Molly