[sf-lug] (forw) Re: (forw) Re: todays meeting at enchanted cafe

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 3 21:54:16 PST 2011

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss at sfo.com):

> Please stop talking to me so that I can get on with what I understand
> doing however so poorly compared to your elite knowledge.

Bobbie, apologies if the situation was unclear:  Although few things
make me happier than my direct correspondent getting effective help,
I'm talking not just (or even primarily) to you, but rather to a public,
archived mailing list, that is, to an entire community of people.  I do
that to benefit all current and future people with similar problems,
either reading the mailing list now or finding information in the
archives via Web search:  You'd be amazed how often solutions turn up on
LUG mailing lists -- because the problem person A had in 2011, person B
may well have again in 2012.

Anyway, if you don't, right now, have time to read mailing list traffic
now, no problem.  Just set aside message traffic temporarily.  Catch up
with it later, either via your waiting direct copies or via Mailman's
cumulative Web archives, at your convenience.  Meanwhile, the questions
and answers can, with luck, add to the sum-total of what the community
knows.

And, by the way, the whole point of having this be public and explained
thoroughly and in plain English is for it to be the polar _opposite_
from 'elite knowlege'.  That's exactly what we're here for.

> I did not expect your participation since the initial condition was
> the loss of a Microsoft OS on the dual-boot I formerly used.

That is actually a very typical problem that people have on dual-boot
setups, and it is typical for the Linux community to provide solutions.
In fact, you might be surprised to find out that the best public
domumentation on such problems, and also on the problems of the
Microsoft Corporation 'OS Loader' bootloader shipped with all versions
of MS-Windows since NT, has been the Linux community.