[sf-lug] (forw) Re: (forw) Re: todays meeting at enchanted cafe

Bobbie Sellers bliss at sfo.com
Mon Jan 3 22:48:36 PST 2011

On 01/03/2011 09:54 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss at sfo.com):
>

>> Please stop talking to me so that I can get on with what I understand
>> doing however so poorly compared to your elite knowledge.
>>
> Bobbie, apologies if the situation was unclear:  Although few things
> make me happier than my direct correspondent getting effective help,
> I'm talking not just (or even primarily) to you, but rather to a public,
> archived mailing list, that is, to an entire community of people.  I do
> that to benefit all current and future people with similar problems,
> either reading the mailing list now or finding information in the
> archives via Web search:  You'd be amazed how often solutions turn up on
> LUG mailing lists -- because the problem person A had in 2011, person B
> may well have again in 2012.

     That is why I read Usenet newsgroups and a couple of Linux magazines.
     The LUG is a welcome respite from my friends who cannot deal with
computer outside of the smart phone context.
> Anyway, if you don't, right now, have time to read mailing list traffic
> now, no problem.  Just set aside message traffic temporarily.  Catch up
> with it later, either via your waiting direct copies or via Mailman's
> cumulative Web archives, at your convenience.  Meanwhile, the questions
> and answers can, with luck, add to the sum-total of what the community
> knows.

     The real problem was that the nvidia proprietary driver for my card is
improperly installed and so my screen would move up and down by about
a half an inch as I used the mouse.   I managed to fix this before but I
had no luck today.
     The workaround was to test the various offered resolutions and number
of colors available and I found one that works.  There may be another but
I am not getting sea-sick looking at the screen as i work.

> And, by the way, the whole point of having this be public and explained
> thoroughly and in plain English is for it to be the polar _opposite_
> from 'elite knowlege'.  That's exactly what we're here for.

     Again that is why I use the newsgroups where the little I know helps
a few.

>> I did not expect your participation since the initial condition was
>> the loss of a Microsoft OS on the dual-boot I formerly used.
>>
> That is actually a very typical problem that people have on dual-boot
> setups, and it is typical for the Linux community to provide solutions.
> In fact, you might be surprised to find out that the best public
> domumentation on such problems, and also on the problems of the
> Microsoft Corporation 'OS Loader' bootloader shipped with all versions
> of MS-Windows since NT, has been the Linux community.

       I am never surprised by the problems MS brings to the public
in all its segments.
     However the problem was my fault entirely as i somehow mis-understood
the warnings I was getting from the gui disk partitione.
      However it is barely a problem at all since I had planned to
remove Windows
Vista from my hard disk when the warranty on the notebook expired last July.
If I decide I need it again I wills start watching Craig's List until
someone is
ready to part with a licensed Window 7 at a good price.
     Unfortunately the Vista restore DVDs I made are mislaid and I don't
think
I will be looking too hard for them.

     later
     bliss