[sf-lug] Meetiing this evening.

jim jim at well.com
Tue Dec 21 10:54:20 PST 2010

   the yl's name is jackie, definitely a newbie.
   she took away a few live CDs with instructions not to
install, just try: seems safest not to load too many
instructions on her at any one time--if she tries to
save data, how will she find her hard disk; if she
installs, what if the OS doesn't work with all of her
subsystems?
   we're here for her, she's got some phone numbers.

   interesting that some bootable CDs failed to boot on
my machine (which we used to demo the process). this
seems to happen commonly, probably a matter that
built-in players, perhaps those on laptops, are
slightly misaligned or become so over time.

   i'm hoping the guys from sf city college will put
their questions to the list (the sf-lug list is nearing
300 members, most with opinions).
   we told them about noisebridge:
* linux sysadm study group tuesdays and fridays from
  3 to 6 PM
* linux discussion group wednesdays from 6 to 8 PM.
  and about Bay Area Linux Events
  http://linuxmafia.com/bale/
* and about BALUG (dinner/speaker third tuesdays of
  the month except december)
  http://www.balug.org/
* they got pretty excited to learn about larry cafiero's
  effort to set up an uber-group that may link various
  college lugs; they want to know more.
* i believe there's a linux group at sfu: anybody know
  about this?
* sameer verma is the likely point man for learning
  about linux groups as sfsu.
   anybody got additional info that might interest this
new sf city college effort?