[sf-lug] linux media (music) player with web server control

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 10:38:27 PDT 2010

I'm a very late comer to the idea of putting all my music on a server
instead of flipping CDs.

I have an old Linux box hooked up to my stereo. I have a very small
apartment so that one stereo can be heard from everywhere.

However, I'm usually on my laptop. I'd like to control my "media center"
without having to get up and go to the server.

I have been unable to find a music player that supports web control. I
have found many that will stream the media via a web page, but that's
not what I want. I want to select the music to play, and then have it
play on the server.

I did find a plugin for Exaile that is supposed to do this, however it's
buggy, lacks full support for Exaile, and doesn't look like it's in
development or maintenance.

Anyone know of a solution to my need?