[sf-lug] linux media (music) player with web server control

Mike Higashi mhigashi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 13:52:22 PDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Michael Shiloh
<michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been unable to find a music player that supports web control. I have
> found many that will stream the media via a web page, but that's not what I
> want. I want to select the music to play, and then have it play on the
> server.
>
> I did find a plugin for Exaile that is supposed to do this, however it's
> buggy, lacks full support for Exaile, and doesn't look like it's in
> development or maintenance.
>
> Anyone know of a solution to my need?

A no-extra-software-required solution:

a) turn on X11 forwarding in the sshd_config on the media player
b) ssh into the media player from your laptop
c) launch the media application from within the ssh session
d) have the gui frontend forwarded to your laptop

But it might be better to use a media player with client/server support.
I don't use a central music server, so I have no recommendations,
but here are a few for you to look at:

Music Player Daemon (in early alpha):
http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Music_Player_Daemon_Wiki

XMMS2 (in "developer release" stage)