[sf-lug] found discarded older computer - any interest

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 26 19:36:55 PDT 2010

Quoting Brian Morris (cymraegish at gmail.com):

> Have recently installed and run Ubuntu10 with the LXDE desktop on
> 300mhz powerbook, it is sweet I have to say. For a long time I just
> stick with Debian, however this try with Ubuntu it seems that the
> "community supported" version unofficial for powerpc is very well
> done.

Since I prefer just a window manager (usually Window Maker) and none of
that session management junk (etc.), I find that Debian PPC is
absolutely perfect -- usually testing-branch with optional access to
unstable-branch package repos set in the apt config.  Works a treat on
my old 700 MHz G3 iBook, for example.

> FYI I have a macbook but Debian AMD64 unstable got trashed in an
> update/upgrade and I am thinking to go with Ubuntu here too.

Well, I'd run debian-testing (w/unstable access as needed) there, too,
but your mileage may differ<tm>.