[sf-lug] found discarded older computer - any interest

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 19:04:29 PDT 2010

I got some parts to fix up my powermac8500 from an old powercomputing
machine, got a faster cpu and more importantly some RAM.

I have run on the 8500 older versions of Linux which I need to run
some old research software (in terms of science 10 years can be still
very citable and useable but the libraries and so forth porting issues
to newer systems are for me at least impossible).

Have recently installed and run Ubuntu10 with the LXDE desktop on
300mhz powerbook, it is sweet I have to say. For a long time I just
stick with Debian, however this try with Ubuntu it seems that the
"community supported" version unofficial for powerpc is very well
done.

FYI I have a macbook but Debian AMD64 unstable got trashed in an
update/upgrade and I am thinking to go with Ubuntu here too. In the
meantime I am tempted to say that the powerpc Ubuntu is the best I
have run of all the linux versions. I don't know why anyone wants to
run an rpm based distro unless they have to, and I don't see why one
needs more than a few choices of distros anyway -- isn't four or so
more than adequate ??

Brian

P.S. If no one takes the machine I can salvage parts maybe and take
remains to goodwill for salvage, that is if it is the late model, I
can't use the earlier ones. If no one else wants it. I could also,
would be interested in any community local with powerpc linux users.

I have been thinking seriously to try and get some people together to
share work with optimized g4 builds, the new compilers getting much
better from gcc 4.0 to 4.4 2x to 3x speedup autovectoring some of my
apps. This makes a g4 run like a recent machine for many things, help
save the planet by reducing manufacturing waste...