[sf-lug] found discarded older computer - any interest

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 20:34:22 PDT 2010

On 7/26/10, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Brian Morris (cymraegish at gmail.com):
>
>> Have recently installed and run Ubuntu10 with the LXDE desktop on
>> 300mhz powerbook, it is sweet I have to say. For a long time I just
>> stick with Debian, however this try with Ubuntu it seems that the
>> "community supported" version unofficial for powerpc is very well
>> done.
>
> Since I prefer just a window manager (usually Window Maker) and none of
> that session management junk (etc.),
I always did too until I tried LXDE (and I tried all the others). Its
the file manager that makes it really.
>I find that Debian PPC is
> absolutely perfect -- usually testing-branch with optional access to
> unstable-branch package repos set in the apt config.  Works a treat on
> my old 700 MHz G3 iBook, for example.
Nothing's perfect but yes I have been happy with plain Debian for
years and probably still prefer it, but the wifi support for my old
powerbooks had been going down hill for some time drivers breaking, I
found that Ubuntu had no problems with it.

>> FYI I have a macbook but Debian AMD64 unstable got trashed in an
>> update/upgrade and I am thinking to go with Ubuntu here too.
>
> Well, I'd run debian-testing (w/unstable access as needed) there, too,
> but your mileage may differ<tm>.
That's what I do, but I have seen warnings "unstable is unstable".
Maybe it just happens occassionally, depending on what packages you
are running (I had some experimental on there too).

I think when squeeze comes out I will just stick with stable for a
while on the g4 and concentrate on building those optimized versions
without a moving target.

And maybe stay away from experimental on the macbook too, just wait
for the new packages or build from upstream (some swear by this ...)

Brian