[sf-lug] X201 Laptop randomly freezing (completely)

jim jim at well.com
Sat Jul 3 11:00:07 PDT 2010

   at least a few people will be at the cafe enchante
tomorrow (sunday, july 4) between 11 AM and 1 PM or
so. bring it by and, depending on who shows up, maybe
someone can figure it out.
   consider bringing it by noisebridge on wednesday
evenings--that's a free-form discussion group similar
to sf-lug meetings at the cafe enchante.

* cafe enchante on geary at 26th avenue in SF
http://www.sf-lug.com http://www.sf-lug.org

* noisebridge at 2169 mission near 18th, ring bell in
iron gate structure immediately north of the fruit
stand.
http://www.noisebridge.net

   at noisebridge, a linux system administration study
group meets on tuesdays and fridays from 3 PM to 6 PM.
sometimes there's a real guru there.

   rick moen hosts an every-other-saturday get-together
for solving any and all linux related problems, i
believe currently from 4 PM to 9 PM at his house:
   CABAL (Consortium of All Bay Area Linux)
meets 2nd and 4th Saturdays, 4 pm-midnight at 1105 Altschul Ave. near
Gordon Ave., Menlo Park. What: CABAL coordinates Linux InstallFests at
various locations, and holds other Linux-oriented events at 1105
Altschul Avenue, taking advantage of Rick and Deirdre's Internet leased
lines and Linux servers. Always feel free to bring computers to install
Linux on, using your own or the distributions on hand. There will also
typically be a barbecue dinner, in the evening.
http://linuxmafia.com/bale/  # scroll about half-way down

   52 degrees centigrade sounds suspiciously hot to me,
and i suspect overheating as the cause of your freezes.

   first thing i'd do is inspect the box; look to see
what processes are running
$ ps aux
$ top
and see what hardware is installed
$ lsusb
$ lspci
$ lsmod
$ lspcmcia
$ lshal

   second thing: interview you to find out what your
installation experience was like: did you have problems,
if so what and how did you conquer them. also, on days
that are "more frequent", is the ambient temperature
higher than days less frequent?

   third thing: search the net to see if your computer
is notorious in any way.

   fourth thing, find a guru.