[sf-lug] LXDE Rocks !

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 28 21:40:57 PDT 2010

Quoting Brian Morris (cymraegish at gmail.com):

> As far as the browser, yes firefox can run in pretty low ram, less
> than 256MB total on your machine.

It actually should run OK on a _128 MB_ total G3, if you have bothered
to properly pare down your distribution's runtime configuration.  That's
really my point.   People waste a lot of time trying to find sparse
default distro installations, i.e., ones that are tolerable on low-spec
machines at the end of the installation process, when they'd have a
much superior experience by starting with almost any successful distro
installation and simply paring it down -- including using a simple
window manager w/o session management, a display manager, etc., instead
of any of those 'desktop environment' supersets, even thrify ones like
LXDE.  (Although yes, LXDE's a good starting point.)

Since you're wanting to save RAM/CPU for actual programming work, this
should be at the top of your priority list, IMO.

(BTW, in case you want to look at other RAM-thrify Web browsers:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=kicking#linuxbrowser )

> I detest bloatware... I've booted up some old versions of linux on
> these old machines, like 1998, 2000, 2002;

Heh.  When I say 'old Linux', I think more about things like Slackware
2.0, released just a wee bit ago, in '94.  ;->