[sf-lug] LXDE Rocks !

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 19:37:21 PDT 2010

Its the desktop Gnome thatś really slow and greedy of both cpu and
ram, but cpu especially.
I have an old 350mhz g3 imac that has the standard ubuntu install on
it and it takes like a full minute to do anything even with 512MB ram
or more. by contrast the old 300mhz powerbook with 384 ram does fine
with lxde. I did try XFCE once on the g4 but it seemed not worth it,
not much faster than gnome and not much functionality for what it
spends. by contrast LXDE is being designed for low end netbooks both
efficient and with nice features almost as nice as gnome (full menus
with clock and other icon apps and file browser and tabs and etc) -- a
far cry from plain openbox I had been using for a long time.

As far as the browser, yes firefox can run in pretty low ram, less
than 256MB total on your machine. But links2 does nice clean text with
pictures basics and has menu and scrollbar and mouse support in grafix
mode and is at least 2x faster than firefox. Like I said it is #1 the
speed, with good enough functionality basics on an old computer. Even
on a newer or faster machine you are saving energy in both cpu and ram
and helping to save the planet and your electric bills.

What I use a browser like links2 for is basicly reading like I said
static web pages either on the net or locally which I do a lot. Often
I am studying programming and using tech reference or study materials
and want to save my ram/cpu for the actual programming part, also my
screen space which by the way links2 is a bit cleaner around.

I detest bloatware... Iǘe booted up some old versions of linux on
these old machines, like 1998, 2000, 2002; its fairly appalling the
Huge differences both in speed and other resources used. Seriously it
was downhill from KDE to Gnome to simple window manager, may as well
be going backwards in time instead of forwards in terms of the user
experience !!

Brian

Brian