[sf-lug] how to configure an HP 4000 printer

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jun 15 10:48:22 PDT 2010

I wrote:

> I can look it up for you.  Might I just ask for clarification?  YOu're
> talking about an HP LaserJet 4000, right?

Also, are you quite sure you're not talking about an HP LaserJet 4000N?
The 'n' suffix is what HP uses to indicate that the model has a network
port, i.e., a JetDirect card.  The HP LaserJet 4000 has _no_ network
interface, whereas the HP LaserJet 4000N bundles an HP JetDirect 600N
print server card with LocalTalk, ethernet 10Base-T/twisted-pair (RJ-45),
and 10Base-2/thinnet (BNC) connectors.

Of course, someone could have added an aftermarket JetDirect card to an
HP LaserJet 4000, but that is rare.  And, anyway, you would be able to
clarify, having seen the printer and noticed its network interface,
right?

Anyway, with one of those, if you want to cold-reset the network card to
its factory settings (wiping the card's NVRAM), hold down the green
button and turn the printer on.  Let go of the green button after at
least 5 seconds.  The JetDirect card should now revert to
factory-default behaviour, in which it gets a DHCP lease.

On most HP printers, you can configure TCP/IP settings from a
front-panel switch.  Details here:
http://www.cites.illinois.edu/wsg/resources/network_printing/printing.html#1

 HP Laserjet 4000 N

 Press the Menu button until you see Information Menu.
 Press the Item button until you see Print Configuration
 Press Select.
 Result: The second page of the printout shows the configuration details
       of the JetDirect network card in the printer.

Taken from
http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/display/ist/Check+the+network+settings+for+various+HP+printers

New-ish HP printers lack the front-panel configurability, but have a
built-in Web server you talk to for configuration purposes.