[sf-lug] Has anyone configured a HP LJ P1006 to Ubuntu 9.04 or 6.06?

jim jim at well.com
Sun Mar 14 09:05:14 PDT 2010

   hi, mikki,
   yes, it does look like you might have blundered
(i know the feeling pretty well myself). best to get
into the habit of researching before buying. i used
google and typed in linux printers and got a lot of
links, including

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting

http://www.openprinting.org/printers

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

   linux support for hp printers is pretty good;
there are lots of drivers for lots of hp (and other)
printers. (hp has, for something like ten years,
supported an internal linux group, although their
overall policy seems to have varied over the decade.)

   when i run into people who are interested in open
source software, i try to get them to join some kind
of user group BEFORE they buy things (e.g. computers,
printers...).
   pre-purchase researching has gotten easier over
time. even i kind of follow my advice.

   note that more recent releases of linux distros
have improved device support over their predecessors.
consider getting a "live cd" and booting your desktop
computer with it to see if things work. if so, it
might be good to upgrade the OS running on it (in
terms of printer support, initial load time, and
other features).
   i tend not to upgrade (tho' i tend to update); i
plan to reinstall all my systems when 10.4 is
released: 10.4 is a Long Term Service (LTS) release,
which promises support for two years (until the next
LTS release).