[sf-lug] Has anyone configured a HP LJ P1006 to Ubuntu 9.04 or 6.06?

Chris Mason mason.christopher.thomas at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 11:37:06 PDT 2010

hi,

I don't have any specific advice for that printer, but I'll throw two
things out that got me when I was setting up a different model of HP
printer connected via USB.

1- I was frustrated for hours because the "print test page" from
within the GUI wasn't working. Turns out, everything printed fine
_except_ the test page. I wish I would have tried just printing from
OO.o earlier.

2- I frequently find myself plugging in, unplugging, turning on,
turning off, etc, the printer. The magic command that seems an
effective way to say "hey, pay attention to the printer!" is "sudo
rmmod usblp". I have it an alies in .bashrc:

alias fixprinter='sudo rmmod usblp'

When I tell OO.o or FF to print, and it mysteriously isn't printing,
that command mysteriously seems to start the print job. Don't tell it
to print 20 times, tell it to print once, issue that command, and THEN
start getting frustrated. :P

Chris