[sf-lug] Introducing Myself

David Hinkle hinkle at cipafilter.com
Mon Feb 15 12:00:52 PST 2010

>> What kind of work are you looking for? Are you applying directly to companies? Is your resume out there?

I’m looking for development work, primarily in the area of my specialties which is networking or embedded Linux.  I have a great deal of experience developing successful products.   I also have an interest in robotics, I’m not an expert in electronics but I’ve designed a circuit board or two for commercial projects and have experience programming a variety of microcontrollers in C and Assembly. (I’m never going to program a microcontroller in assembly again.  Seriously.  Never again.  Never.  Unless you’re very rich.  Then maybe. ☺ )  The TV club up here tried to get me to write them some microcontroller code in assembly once,  I just couldn’t do it.  I think I’ve got assembly PTSD from the time I spent 3 weeks with the disassembled binary HAL from the Atheros driver to fix the damn timing bug when setting long distances years ago.

As for exactly what, I’m open to ideas.   The project just has to be interesting. ☺   I know it’s nebulous but I’m looking for a project I can get excited about.   Of course, being such an unusual character, it is pretty much impossible to guess what I may find interesting before hand, so if anybody knows of something going down just pitch it to me.

I’m also looking to work with a team, either as a leader or a member is fine, but having some other developers in the mix is important to me.  Here at home I’m always the go to guy, and I’m really looking forward to the possibility of working with some other experts in the field.  if I can go to an environment where I can have the opportunity to learn from others and not just teach that would be a big plus for me.

I’ve got my resume on Dice, and I’ve been applying to positions that sound interesting, but as I said, it’s a rare HR person that doesn’t chuck my resume in the dust bin because I’m not degreed.   I’ll go ahead and paste a text copy of my resume  below for those that may be interested in helping me out.  I had this written by one of those professional resume writers so it’s pretty markety.   Everybody says this is the way to go, but I’m not sure.  What do you guys think about it?

DAVID HINKLE
East Moline, Illinois

309-314-5021
drachs at gmail.com

QUALIFICATIONS

Visionary, results-producing Senior Software Developer with an exceptional background in conceptualizing and developing widely marketable products using Linux, Internet, and database technologies with particular attention to embedded electronics, connectivity, communications, and robotics. Created CIPAFilter, an educational firewall utilized nationwide by academic institutions. Outstanding ability to quickly read, comprehend, and debug code written by other developers. Excellent communication, leadership, analytical, critical thinking, and problem solving skills. Willing to relocate and to consider travel.

SKILLS

Programming Languages: Multi-threaded C & C++, Flex, Shell Scripting, Visual Basic, Visual C++, ASP
Database:  SQL, Postgresql Access, Crystal Reports
Platforms: Linux, Embedded Software, UNIX
Web Technologies: PHP, CSS, HTML, JavaScript
Networking: TCP/IP, IP, Ethernet, Routing, Firewalls, OSPF, BGP
Other: Open Source Software, Subversion/CVS, Visual Studio

CAREER ACCOMPLISHMENTS

CIPAFILTER

* Facilitated unprecedented growth and changed the whole complexion of DerbyTech, now known as CIPAFilter, by conceptualizing and creating CIPAFilter, an educational firewall product providing content filtering, anti-virus, anti-spam, network monitoring, and email archival functions, currently a national brand in educational routers, displacing Cisco and Norton products daily.
* Wrote entire code for CIPAFilter until 2008 when headcount was increased, by heavily leveraging GPL software where possible, but also wrote massive customized Linux code that runs on the unit; additionally developed and maintain a Windows client application providing workstations with real time virus scanning, and enhanced authentication and logging support. http://cipafilter.com.
* Architected a $1+ million wireless network, Edunet, that connects 20 school districts in Illinois to Carl Sandburg College, and provides commercial Internet to a rural service area of 3000 - 6000 square miles, by designing the routers using Linux running on a soekris embedded platform with Atheros Madwifi compatible wireless cards, decompiling the binary wireless driver hardware access layer into assembly, modifying the wireless drivers to extend the range of the 802.11b cards up to 30 miles, and routing the network.
* Won the Edunet contract against competition such as Motorola by bidding half the price, yet maintaining a close to 50% profit margin
* Additional innovation includes this network carrying two layers of routes, one layer for routing the commercial customers on the network out of the pop in Iowa, and another for routing the educational customers out of two fully redundant and geographically separate government pops in Illinois. http://cscedunet.net
* Founded Bandwidthd, an open source network traffic monitoring application that has been included in several distributions of Linux, and has been downloaded from Sourceforge over 165,000 times since released in late 2003.
* Bandwidthd differentiates itself by providing specific information including which customers are using the pipe and how much is utilized by the customer, with each IP address having its own graph breaking down bandwidth usage by protocols such as Mail, P2P, Web, and VPN.
* Current version of Bandwidthd is installed on all company routers and is used to generate and interpret the data that drives the Edunet coverage maps with the ability to view traffic flow from any router on the network, broken down by user or protocol; aggregate information is used to color code the links between towers to indicate the ratio of current throughput to max throughput.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

CIPAFILTER (Formerly DerbyTech), East Moline, Illinois, 2000 - Present
Senior Software Developer
* Hired initially to consult on an 802.11b wireless router project, subsequently growing into DerbyNet, a commercial 802.11b ISP that serves over 6000 square miles of rural Illinois and Iowa with high speed wireless Internet.
* Developed CIPAFilter, originally as an adaptation of the DerbyNet router to meet the CIPA (Child Internet Protection Act) standards mandated by Congress in 2000.
* CIPAFilter is currently the legacy product, a full blown anti-spam, anti-virus, firewall, content filtering, email archival and monitoring appliance marketed to academic institutions nationally, regularly replacing Cisco and Norton products.

HARRINGTON SIGNAL, Moline, Illinois, 2000 - 2001
Software Developer (Contract)
* Short-term contract to replaced Senior Administrator in MRP overhaul while existing Assistant was trained for the position.
* Corrected MRP challenges in inventory, on-time delivery, forecasting, planning, and order tracking.
* Facilitated forecasting of 1200+ products and 25,000 components by writing custom software in Visual Basic.
* Provided accurate job cost allocation of factory personnel by developing a bar-coded labor tracking and payroll system.

JANCY ENGINEERING, Davenport, Iowa, 1998 - 2000
Network Administrator
* Developed a sales analysis system integrated with the MRP package that the company continues to currently use; contacted long afterward to migrate the project to the web.
* Maintained PCs and MRP software.