[sf-lug] laptop upgrade recommendation

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Feb 2 00:25:35 PST 2010

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010, Grant Bowman wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions.  I may see what Mike at Noisebridge can help
> me do with his magic soldering iron.  I did try an external monitor with
> identical results - black screen a few minutes after booting.

Some T42 thoughts:

If these are off-lease, they won't have this problem:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_garbled_screen and
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_video_related_system_lockup_II

But if they're used as portables, I'd be a bit afraid of chassis flex,
which could have damaged the motherboard or its graphics chip connection.
And to any new owner -- don't hold it with one hand. I'm not kidding.
Always use two hands.

T43s improved this issue.

Also, forum.thinkpads.com is a great place to buy ThinkPads.

-- Asheesh.

--
You should emulate your heros, but don't carry it too far.  Especially
if they are dead.