[sf-lug] system beep

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Jan 9 16:04:00 PST 2010

Alison Chaiken writes:
> jim <jim at well.com> writes:
> >when i use the command
> >$ echo $'\a'
> >i hear nothing. the gui controls show the sound is on and at its loudest position.
>
> Are those of you who hear the terminal bell when echoing \007 or \a
> into a shell using KDE?

I use Openbox, neither gnome nor kde.

> Using Fedora 11 and gnome,  I hear no sounds no matter which

You might also have a kernel issue. Using the Ubuntu kernel, I don't
get a beep on two out of three machines, but I do if I build my own
kernel. I've never been able to figure out what option causes that
-- the Ubuntu kernel does have the pcspkr module, but for some
reason it doesn't work on a lot of machines. Fedora may have a
similar issue.

To eliminate the desktop environment as a factor, go to a console
with e.g.  ctrl-alt-F2, log in and try it there. If you still don't
get a beep, you may have to build another kernel, build the fancy
beeper module (I found it worked even when the built-in pcspkr
didn't) or use other sound alerts rather than the system beep.

	...Akkana