[sf-lug] system beep

Alison Chaiken alchaiken at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 08:24:12 PST 2010

jim <jim at well.com> writes:
>when i use the command
>$ echo $'\a'
>i hear nothing. the gui controls show the sound is on and at its loudest position.

Are those of you who hear the terminal bell when echoing \007 or \a
into a shell using KDE?

Using Fedora 11 and gnome,  I hear no sounds no matter which of Alex's
and Akkana's suggestion I type at a gnome-terminal.    This is despite
the fact that when I right-click in the gnome-terminal and call up the
default profile, the "Terminal bell" is checked.    I also have
"Enable window and button sounds" checked on the "Sound Effects" tab
of the gnome Sound Preferences dialog.    That means that *sometimes*
when I iconify or open a new window, I hear the alert noise.
Clicking the "close" button on the Sound Preferences causes it hang
more than half the time, with extensive output from ALSA and
pulseaudio in /var/log/messages.

I care about this problem since in the last couple of weeks I wrote my
own alarm-clock script.     Undoubtedly I should stop complaining and
upgrade to F12, which may fix these problems.

--
Alison Chaiken
(650) 279-5600  (cell)