[sf-lug] HTPC How-Tos advice?

John Lowry johnlowry at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 11:54:04 PDT 2009

Blake Haggerty wrote:
> I have built a few HTPCs Some with Ubuntu others with Windows.
>
> I know what I look for in a HTPC but everyones different:     My advice
> would be don't use a "old pc"
I second that, if you are planning on doing anything with encoding or
decoding on the fly you will want as "beefy" as you can get.

> Things I want in a HTPC:
>
> Whisper Quiet
Do not forget heat either, I had my old MythTV machine that ran way too
hot for my AV cabinet. It was actually putting out so much heat that my
PS3, also a hot running device, was having issues. I eventually got a
better form factor cabinet for getting rid of heat and better heat sinks
for my CPU. Lots of copper to try to keep the fans from needing to kick in.

>   But if your going to just be using it to record/watch TV - Ubuntu should
> work just fine with MythTv.

So Hauppauge has a great product that you can use with either Cable or
satellite TV that I go with now. It is an external USB device that takes
  component video and converts for you. you still need a receiver from
the cable or satellite people for it to work, but you can control your
recording experience with it. MythTV supports it in SVN and as of 2.6.30
the  mainline kernel has a driver for it as well.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

> Best Regards,
> Blake Haggerty
> __

MediaTomb, http://mediatomb.cc/, for DLNA streaming works pretty good
for me. It takes a little tweeking to get it to work with certain devices.

For remote playback Ampache has been pretty good to me. I even have an
app that will play it on my G1. http://ampache.org/

> In the future I might also look into cable capture. I know very little
> in this area other than theoretically there are cable cards that enable
> this? I use comcast so anyone who has advice here I'd be curious about
> as well.
Again, I recommend the Hauppauge device I linked above, just because you
are then not tied to one type of source for input. Also, more and more
cable companies are encrypting their content over the wire and if you do
not have a cable card capable device, non of which currently have linux
support, you are SOL for that input. That being said if you want to do
over there air or unencrypted cable you can use a card that supports it.
  There is a lot of support in the Linux kernel for various cards, but
you can choose to go with a vendor you KNOW supports linux.

http://www.pchdtv.com/