[sf-lug] HTPC How-Tos advice?

Blake Haggerty Blake.Haggerty at Sapphire.com
Thu Oct 29 09:52:13 PDT 2009

I have built a few HTPCs Some with Ubuntu others with Windows.

I know what I look for in a HTPC but everyones different:     My advice would be don't use a "old pc"

Things I want in a HTPC:

Whisper Quiet

HDCP Video Card

HDMI outputs

Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Support

Lots of Storage

Relatively a fast processor and a Good Amount of Ram, for Video Encoding and De-Coding Quickly

A separate sound card (not on board) that handles at least 5.1 surround sound and has Digital output

Although I use Ubuntu on all my Home PCs I do not use it on my HTPC because of its lack of ability to play Blu-Ray. You can play Blu-Ray discs but you have to dump all the disc info (60 gigs) onto your harddrive and then encode the video properly to play it and then it MIGHT work. This process takes a long time unless your computer is blazing fast. So it would really hold up the use of my Netflix. Too much of a pain in the ass for me.

But if your going to just be using it to record/watch TV - Ubuntu should work just fine with MythTv.

Best Regards,

Blake Haggerty