[sf-lug] HTPC How-Tos advice?

Taylor gray.race at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 09:29:13 PDT 2009

Hi Folks,

First time poster here. Working for the state I now have a few forced
vacations. A project that I've been meaning to get started on is setting up
an old PC as a HTPC device. I already have an external NAS to hook into it
for storage. What I'm looking to do is set it up as a streaming server for
UPnP devices in my home and possibly also access it from off-site. Any
Advice? Good how-to articles?  Software that works good in the ubuntu
realm?  I've used tversity(http://tversity.com/) in the past to accomplish
this on my local desktop but I'd like to go full open source for this
project.

In the future I might also look into cable capture. I know very little in
this area other than theoretically there are cable cards that enable this? I
use comcast so anyone who has advice here I'd be curious about as well.

Cheers,

Taylor