[sf-lug] HTPC How-Tos advice?

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Oct 29 12:27:15 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 11:54 AM, John Lowry <johnlowry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Blake Haggerty wrote:
>>
>> I have built a few HTPCs Some with Ubuntu others with Windows.
>>  I know what I look for in a HTPC but everyones different:     My advice
>> would be don't use a "old pc"
>
> I second that, if you are planning on doing anything with encoding or
> decoding on the fly you will want as "beefy" as you can get.
>>
>>  Things I want in a HTPC:
>>  Whisper Quiet
>
> Do not forget heat either, I had my old MythTV machine that ran way too hot
> for my AV cabinet. It was actually putting out so much heat that my PS3,
> also a hot running device, was having issues. I eventually got a better form
> factor cabinet for getting rid of heat and better heat sinks for my CPU.
> Lots of copper to try to keep the fans from needing to kick in.

One way to deal with the heat issue is to use MythTV's
frontend-backend setup. The backend can sit in the garage or attic or
some favorite place where heat and noise aren't an issue and your
frontend machine (XBox classic?) can be in the AV cabinet and be nice
and quiet. Backend <-->Frontend over Wi-Fi can be a bit sputtery
(standard def TV, not for HD) but Ethernet is very reliable. Gigabit
Ethernet is terrific.

>>  But if your going to just be using it to record/watch TV - Ubuntu should
>> work just fine with MythTv.

Ubuntu spin for MythTV  http://www.mythbuntu.org/

cheers,
Sameer (also working for the State of CA, also taking forced vacations :-))