[sf-lug] [LINUX USER QUESTIONAIRE] How did you become a Linux user?

jim jim at well.com
Wed Jul 29 08:37:57 PDT 2009

[top posting: how did you become a linux user?]
   exposure to unix (bsd and at&t), exposure to
windows 1.0 and forward, exposure to microsoft
business practices and news that microsoft was
convicted on all 22 charges of criminal business
practices.
   the richness of the unix command set and the
beauty of the philosophy of small, single-purpose
programs contrasted well against the continued
clunkiness of windows releases; that contrast
along with the outrageous immorality of microsoft
practices made linux an attractive choice (in the
early 1990s). notably, linux has improved well
in its successive releases, which vindicates my
choice of collaborative, community oriented
software development.