[sf-lug] [LINUX USER QUESTIONAIRE] Kinds of Linux user

jim jim at well.com
Wed Jul 29 18:12:57 PDT 2009

[top posting: kinds of linux user]
   as with any group, individuals are properly
aligned as a gradient, probably as data points
on a multi-dimensional matrix. classifications
are to some degree arbitrary. for any dimension,
take the ten percent at the end points and find
the mid-point, then try to assign a meaning.
trick is to determine the dimensions and how to
quantify.
   command line skills, understanding kernel
internals, modules, networking, file systems,
use of GUI shells ("desktops"), use of application
programs, the list could go on. it's important
to acknowledge the existence of linux underlying
devices that users generally don't know or care
depend on linux as their internals.
   your intent is probably with respect to using
linux on computers for individual work or for data
center work, pretty different camps.
   measurability might include how often a person
asks for help as well as how often a person can
help others. consider asking users how comfortable
they feel: not at all, only a little, fairly much,
completely. consider getting figures on who uses
linux at all: a little, somewhat, a lot, all the
time.
   for me, the question as to skill level is not
worthwhile: one person can be masterful in some
areas and not others, and feel more masterful or
less so than others may judge.
   an important question is growth: is the
percentage of people who use linux at least a
little bit growing, and if so at what rate?
   another important question is application use:
how many are using linux for what kinds of
applications, and what's the growth....