[sf-lug] geoprocessing help [Re: sf-lug Digest, Vol 42, Issue 10]

John Reilly jr at inconspicuous.org
Wed Jul 15 15:51:28 PDT 2009

sf-lug-request at linuxmafia.com wrote:
> From: toya <toya at linefeed.org>
> Subject: [sf-lug] geoprocessing help
> To: sf-lug at linuxmafia.com
>
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a website that works with maps API etc. Is a free
> software people are developing in Brazil and I want to start testing it
> for SF.
>
> I was wondering if anyone here could give me a hint of where I can get
> some data about San Francisco. If there is any geoprocessing department
> of universities here that I could get in touch to get this data.
>
> Pretty much I am looking for latitude and longitude data for the
> neighborhoods of SF. For a city in Brazil we could get this data with
> the university department of geoprocessing, so I think some university
> here might be able to help me out with it.

Hi Toya,
A good place to start looking for geospatial data is the USGS and
various agencies that use spatial data.

Have a look at
http://www.usgs.gov/ngpo/
http://edc2.usgs.gov/geodata/index.php
http://water.usgs.gov/lookup/getgislist

Those are just a few links I pulled from
http://www.google.com/search?q=usgs+spatial+data  because I can't
remember anything more specific - its a few years since I've done any
spatial stuff, and I mostly used commercial or private datasets, but I
know there is lots of data on the USGS sites in various formats.

Good luck,
John