[sf-lug] linux

Bobbie Sellers bliss at sfo.com
Mon Apr 6 10:53:43 PDT 2009

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss at sfo.com):
>

>> We tried a Linux Pro Magazine DVD with SuSE  11.1 yesterday and it came
>> up with remarks about digital signatures and quit, though I found it
>> quite aggressive trying to start up installation under Windows XP.
>>

> Well, optical media provided with magazines and books have a pretty high
> defect rate.  (Also, beware of obsolete versions and non-standard
> contents, though I gather you didn't have those problems, this time.)
>
> My discs are in general pretty reliable.  Nothing's perfect, of course:
> I had a few *buntu beta CDRs, recently, that I foolishly stacked before the
> Sharpie ink dried, so they weren't 100% readable and had to be reburned.
> Also, you never know when someone will show up with a CD drive that
> won't read certain CDRs or DVD-RW/DVD+RW media.
>
> Starting up installation under Windows XP, you say?  How odd.  That
> would not be my choice of method.  I would want to use the standard
> (non-live-CD) installer disc for whatever my CPU platform is.

    Well it seems she had it set to auto-play and I shut it down asap
but it was a pain to do it before rebooting,

    We left her with another Linux user better informed than myself.
    Someone had started a Ubunto install then left it less than done.
Found most of her stuff with Knoppix but by that tiime I was exhausted
and willing to accept Jim's offer of a ride home.
    Mandriva had problems with the ide interface and I got hung up
on choosing which interface should be selected from a list of every
device driver available when we tried to install that.

    Seems to be a very nice little computer wiith the Optical drive
and some other parts in the port expansion base.  Lifting it off the
X200 Dell docking base you are left with the main machine about the
size of a modern netbook  computer.  Too bad it is so hard to
configure under Linux.
    Also too bad that someone swiped the Optical dish she had which
had the install for the Novell SuSe Linux.

    I spent the larger part of the meeting trying to get a driver for
my Farallon EtherMac PC card but no joy there.  May just go buy a
modern card with the drivers.  The driver diskette I have for the
Farallon card as well as all the drivers I have managed to download
are problematic as Windows Install says the .inf files are in an
unexpected format.

> FYI, "Linux Pro Magazine" is the US/Canada name for Linux New Media AG's
> "Linux Magazine" in Europe.  That's to avoid name conflict with
> InfoStrada's "Linux Magazine", which was already called that in the
> Americas.

    Very interesting.

    later
    Bobbie