[sf-lug] linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 6 09:58:46 PDT 2009

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss at sfo.com):

> We tried a Linux Pro Magazine DVD with SuSE  11.1 yesterday and it came
> up with remarks about digital signatures and quit, though I found it
> quite aggressive trying to start up installation under Windows XP.

Well, optical media provided with magazines and books have a pretty high
defect rate.  (Also, beware of obsolete versions and non-standard
contents, though I gather you didn't have those problems, this time.)

My discs are in general pretty reliable.  Nothing's perfect, of course:
I had a few *buntu beta CDRs, recently, that I foolishly stacked before the
Sharpie ink dried, so they weren't 100% readable and had to be reburned.
Also, you never know when someone will show up with a CD drive that
won't read certain CDRs or DVD-RW/DVD+RW media.

Starting up installation under Windows XP, you say?  How odd.  That
would not be my choice of method.  I would want to use the standard
(non-live-CD) installer disc for whatever my CPU platform is.

FYI, "Linux Pro Magazine" is the US/Canada name for Linux New Media AG's
"Linux Magazine" in Europe.  That's to avoid name conflict with
InfoStrada's "Linux Magazine", which was already called that in the
Americas.