[sf-lug] linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 6 11:12:06 PDT 2009

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss at sfo.com):

> Also too bad that someone swiped the Optical dish she had which
> had the install for the Novell SuSe Linux.

I'm still unclear on whether this term refers to SUSE Linux Enterprise
Desktop, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, or OpenSUSE.

> I spent the larger part of the meeting trying to get a driver for my
> Farallon EtherMac PC card but no joy there.  May just go buy a modern
> card with the drivers.

Yeah, no kidding.  That PCMCIA card (the "Farallon EtherMac PC Card 595a")
is kinda ancient -- like, 1990s.  I'm guessing it's very likely a 16-bit
card and limited to 10 kbps.

There _is_ a working driver.  It's called "ep".  See:
http://hardy-manpages.uid0.hu/hardy-manpages/1356/ep.html

> The driver diskette I have for the Farallon card as well as all the
> drivers I have managed to download are problematic as Windows Install
> says the .inf files are in an unexpected format.

Sorry, but you should not normally expect to get Linux drivers, or even
useful information about them, from hardware manufacturers' discs.  Even
when you do, they tend to be really bad compared to community-maintained
drivers.