[sf-lug] Upgrading from Gutsy to Intrepid

Jesse Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 20:29:32 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Jesse Zbikowski
<embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/2/17 Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com>:
>> Does anyone have any warnings of traps for the unwary
>> in moving from Gutsy to Intrepid?
>
> The only issue is that it can take a few hours to download & configure
> all the packages.

I just wanted to pass on one more tip on upgrading Ubuntu with the
Update Manager GUI.  It's a long and CPU-intensive process and thus
may nearly immobilize your computer for some time.  If that's the only
computer you have, you might want to run Update Manager from the shell
so you have job control.  That is, instead of launching it from the
Start Menu you can

jesse at counterpoint:~$ gksu "update-manager -d" &
[1] 3950

Then if you need to run something else before the ginormous update is
finished you can foreground the job and put it to sleep with Ctrl-Z.

fg %1
^Z

I don't know if this is really recommended but no problems so far.