[sf-lug] Upgrading from Gutsy to Intrepid

Jesse Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 21:22:59 PST 2009

2009/2/17 Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com>:
> I will need to save the data in at least his
> Firefox config files.  Does anyone have any warnings of traps for the unwary
> in moving from Gutsy to Intrepid?

Personally I have never had any problems upgrading Ubuntu.  My feeling
is, a lot of people got burned in the past by bad upgrades (Fedora
3->4 comes to mind) but that distro maintainers are pretty
conscientious about this now.

The only issue is that it can take a few hours to download & configure
all the packages.  The downloading can be done unattended but
unfortunately the configuration tends to require a lot of unnecessary
interaction.  That is, you keep getting prompted "Do you want to
replace this file (Y/n)?" (in the Update Manager GUI).  There should
be a policy that if a file belongs to an old package, and hasn't been
modified, it's OK to overwrite it with the new version.

If you do a fresh install, you may be surprised how many things are
"missing" from the desktop which you forgot you had
installed/configured.  But if the only thing you've modified is
Firefox bookmarks, it probably doesn't matter much either way.