[sf-lug] That sad Dell Dimension 2400

Bobbie Sellers bliss at sfo.com
Fri Feb 6 18:32:50 PST 2009

    Jim Stockford tested the Power Supply for
me earlier this week after I passed it over to
him at the February 1 meeting.  It was not
doing much in the power supply department
he found.
    So I hopefully ordered a upgrade PS
for less than $29 including shipping

     This afternoon after only a few days wait
I got the new power supply and hooked it
up but got no good results.  No results at
all besides fans and the power light coming on.

      Daniel G. reminded me at the last
SF-LUG meeting that the PS failure could take out
the hard drive as well as the motherboard.

    I managed to pull the drive and got it into
a USB case and plugged it into my Inspiron and
all the files are there.  Hoorah!

    So it looks like the Dimension is an former computer.
    The case size form factor is good but still tight with
only one case side removable and the other riveted in
place.  The Dimension's hard drive is mounted vertically
at front of the computer which is a bit awkward to deal
with and fitting a second hard drive requires buying a
specially made bracket  so I think I have to find a
new box of a similar form factor without the negative
aspects of the Dell box\ and a fresh motherboard.

    later
    Bobbie Sellers