[sf-lug] Microsoft's "open source" guru job posting

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sat Feb 7 10:25:47 PST 2009

2009/2/6 Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com>:
> hi,
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&jobId=652401&fromSearch=0&sik=1233902901473
>
> I am assuming that this job posting, like all job postings, will disappear
> in the not-too-distant future, and so I have posted it in its entirety here:
>
> Director, Open Source Desktop Strategy at Microsoft
>
> Location: Greater Seattle Area

> Apply Now
> Type:Full-timeExperience:DirectorFunctions:Consulting, Strategy /
> Planning, Product Management, Business Development  Industries:Computer
> Software Posted:February 5, 2009
>
> Job Description
>
> The Windows Competitive Strategy team is looking for a strong team member to
> lead Microsoft's global desktop competitive strategy as it relates to open
> source competitors. Our team mission is to gather intelligence, create
> business strategies, and drive action in the marketplace for the Windows
> Client business. In this job, you will be asked to think strategically, put
> yourself in the mindset of our competitors, influence multi-million dollar
> marketing campaigns, and drive high-level executive thinking around business
> strategy.
> As the Director of Open Source Desktop Strategy you will need to drive
> research and build holistic strategies across dynamic market segments like
> PCs, NetBooks, and mobile internet devices. You will be responsible for
> bringing our business strategy to life by discovering and sharing the market
> insights that set the foundation for our platform value dialogue with
> customers and the industry
> You will need to work directly with customers and partners across the globe,
> other product groups, field sales & marketing organizations, and industry
> analysts to influence internal, external and partner marketing efforts with
> a focus on consumer scenarios.
> Responsibilities
> In this role you will be expected to:
> • Drive our business strategy by delivering strategy reviews to Microsoft
> executives
> • Drive primary and secondary market research activities to inform marketing
> strategies
> • Manage technical analysis of competitive platforms
> • Create a rational set of proof points that promote Microsoft's comparative
> value
> • Build a fact-based marketing plan that articulates the Windows Client
> value proposition to partners and customers
> • Collaborate with the owners of outbound marketing channels, such as PR,
> advertising, analysts, field, and partners
> • Manage a marketing budget and influence worldwide subsidiary participation
> to drive our strategy
>
> Skills
>
> Qualifications:
> The candidate must be a highly motivated self-starter, with a proven track
> record of successful execution. Successful candidates must be able to think
> [...]

I find the "Working knowledge of x86 and ARM architectures a plus," an
interesting description. There's a lot of talk over at OLPC to make
the next incarnation of the XO to be based on ARM and Ubuntu is active
in that are (Ubuntu Netbook Remix on ARM).
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2097004728.html Of course, Debian
supports ARM (http://www.debian.org/ports/arm/)

It looks like the next round of laptops may very well be ARM based
(sorta like Nokia N810, but expanded to Netbook form factor) and maybe
that's where the battle will be fought.

Then again, its Saturday morning and I'm caffeinated and speculative :-)
--
Sameer