[sf-lug] Intrepid desktop not fitting on screen....

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Jan 23 10:17:52 PST 2009

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Blake Haggerty wrote:

> Friend of mine saw my Ubuntu setup and wanted to try it himself. I went
> over to his house last night and setup a dual boot on his machine. His
> computer is connected to a Mitsubishi LCD 46" television. Via DVI 2 HDMI
> I was able to get all the Nvidia drivers installed on it running in what
> should be the correct resolution 1920x1080, But the desktop does not fit
> on the screen. (Cant see the toolbar, Applications, System,
> Places...etc)
>
> Everything I have googled just talks about resolution and how to change
> that. I can change the resolution but it doesn't really help (makes
> everything really ugly and still doesn't completely fit on screen)

On a TV? Sounds to me like overscan.

> I have this working on my home computer but I cant remember for the life
> of me how I did it, (I do remember it took some fiddling) I tried using
> my xorg.conf which did not work.

I haven't dealt with overscan since I ran Linux on an Xbox. I don't know
if current digital TVs do that. (And I would guess not!)

There used to be a GUI TV tuner configuration tool I used when I used TV
out. On the Xbox there was some obscure CLI tool that worked against the
onboard NVidia chip it had.

-- Asheesh.

--
Afternoon very favorable for romance.  Try a single person for a change.