[sf-lug] Intrepid desktop not fitting on screen....

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Fri Jan 23 13:00:06 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 13:17 -0500, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Blake Haggerty wrote:
>
> > Friend of mine saw my Ubuntu setup and wanted to try it himself. I went
> > over to his house last night and setup a dual boot on his machine. His
> > computer is connected to a Mitsubishi LCD 46" television. Via DVI 2 HDMI
> > I was able to get all the Nvidia drivers installed on it running in what
> > should be the correct resolution 1920x1080, But the desktop does not fit
> > on the screen. (Cant see the toolbar, Applications, System,
> > Places...etc)
> >
> > Everything I have googled just talks about resolution and how to change
> > that. I can change the resolution but it doesn't really help (makes
> > everything really ugly and still doesn't completely fit on screen)
>
> On a TV? Sounds to me like overscan.

Yeah, depending on the model of Nvidia card you have, there may be a
setting on the "Nvidia Settings" GUI (can't remember the proper name) to
adjust this value. Look for anything related to overscan. The bad news
is, if it's not there, I don't think that particular version supports it
- in other words you're stuck with it. I run MythTV (well Mythbuntu) at
home on a TV and I have overscan, and an Nvidia card that doesn't allow
me to adjust overscan. So I use MythTV's custom settings to set the size
of the GUI to fit the screen.

Cheers, Tom