[sf-lug] "Server" Hardware donation

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Thu Jan 15 21:21:23 PST 2009

Hi Folks,

I got a call from the Hayes Valley Community Center yesterday because
the computers were down. Jim Stockford and I headed over there tonight
to check it out. Turns out they'd had a new carpet put in and the server
had been disconnected as part of this, so restoring service wasn't a
problem. What was a problem was that we realized the version of Ubuntu
that's running on the desktops and server is 7.04 (Feisty), which is no
longer supported as it's more than 18 months old and not an "LTS"
release. So, we need to upgrade them to Hardy.

This should work fine on the desktops (with the proper planning). But
the server is a different question. It's pretty old hardware, and has a
funky software RAID configuration, and ideally we'd like to update it to
something a little more maintainable in the long term. Nothing fancy,
don't need a whole lot of power or RAM (by today's standards). Anyway,
we were wondering if anyone might know of any organizations that are
getting rid of "old" hardware that might be appropriate to donate to
Hayes Valley. The kind of thing we'd be looking for would be:

1 or 2 Core CPU > 1GHz
1 GB RAM
50 GB Disk Space (doesn't really need to be fault tolerant as we can
just setup backups to an external hard drive).

For more details on this project, see:

http://sf-lug.com/wiki/doku.php?id=lug_projects:hayes_valley_community_center_computer_lab

Anyone know of anything that might fit the bill in terms of hardware
donation?

Cheers, Tom