[sf-lug] "Server" Hardware donation

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 21:28:01 PST 2009

hi,

I have a couple servers at the school, if you want to come over and look at
them.  I don't know the specs off the top of my head.  You will have to look
at them.  They are rack-mounted servers that were used by ACCRC.org to do
mass installs.

I will have to get permission from our gurus to see if we can give away one
of these servers, because they might have plans for them.  I will ping them
and then get back to you.

2009/1/15 Tom Haddon <tom at greenleaftech.net>

> Hi Folks,
>
> I got a call from the Hayes Valley Community Center yesterday because
> the computers were down. Jim Stockford and I headed over there tonight
> to check it out. Turns out they'd had a new carpet put in and the server
> had been disconnected as part of this, so restoring service wasn't a
> problem. What was a problem was that we realized the version of Ubuntu
> that's running on the desktops and server is 7.04 (Feisty), which is no
> longer supported as it's more than 18 months old and not an "LTS"
> release. So, we need to upgrade them to Hardy.
>
> This should work fine on the desktops (with the proper planning). But
> the server is a different question. It's pretty old hardware, and has a
> funky software RAID configuration, and ideally we'd like to update it to
> something a little more maintainable in the long term. Nothing fancy,
> don't need a whole lot of power or RAM (by today's standards). Anyway,
> we were wondering if anyone might know of any organizations that are
> getting rid of "old" hardware that might be appropriate to donate to
> Hayes Valley. The kind of thing we'd be looking for would be:
>
> 1 or 2 Core CPU > 1GHz
> 1 GB RAM
> 50 GB Disk Space (doesn't really need to be fault tolerant as we can
> just setup backups to an external hard drive).
>
> For more details on this project, see:
>

> http://sf-lug.com/wiki/doku.php?id=lug_projects:hayes_valley_community_center_computer_lab
>
> Anyone know of anything that might fit the bill in terms of hardware
> donation?
>
> Cheers, Tom

Christian Einfeldt,
Producer, The Digital Tipping Point