[sf-lug] Another school project possible

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 13:43:34 PST 2009

hi,

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:34 PM, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com>wrote:

> hi,
>
> I wanted to let this list know that I have contacted someone inside the San
> Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) about bringing GNU-Linux to
> another test classroom project.

I am at the school now.  My contact here speaks English as a second
language, and my Spanish is limited, so there was a mix-up.  This is not San
Francisco Unified School District, but rather, a 501c(3) that has been
around since the 1970s or so to teach English and job skills to new
immigrants.

So although it might not be as great as a SFUSD contact, it is still really
good.  We need more racial diversity in our LUGs, and so this contact might
be a great way to bring in both language and racial diversity.  The Latino
population in SF is horribly underserved for computer technology, and this
school has great links to that community.

They have also said that they might well have space for storing computers
and refurbishing Linux computers and would like to be able to replicate on a
smaller scale what ACCRC.org does on a larger scale in the East Bay.

So I am guardedly optimistic at this point.

--
Christian Einfeldt,
Producer, The Digital Tipping Point