[sf-lug] OLPC thoughts...

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Dec 6 21:55:42 PST 2008

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Sameer Verma wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I thought I'd update you all on the One Laptop Per Child project.
> Instead of writing a long e-mail, I've posted my thoughts and details
> online. Last year's donation program helped hundreds of thousands of
> children around the world get little green laptops for education. I had
> the good fortune of visiting one of the first pilot sites in India. The
> experience of seeing 5 year olds using laptops (yes, FOSS laptops :-))
> in a remote village is perhaps the most impressive experience of my
> professional career. Its proof that this effort actually works.

I was in Uruguay four months ago and was driving around Colonia in a golf
cart with my brother.  "Look over there," he says.

On the steps of his house is a little kid using a green laptop with bunny
ears and an XO logo.  In the doorway is his mother, looking outside.

That was amazing.  When I finally import my photos from that trip, I'll
post that one for sure.

-- Asheesh.

--
There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
 		-- Mark Twain