[sf-lug] sending mail through SSH port forwarding

David Sterry david at sterryit.com
Wed Nov 26 14:21:12 PST 2008

> Well, I do it that way so that my policy is the same "at home" as it "when
> roaming."  I don't think people have cracked the WPA in my home (although,
> sure, it's possible, no need to tell me it's possible), but I really don't
> trust the random airport wifi I was using earlier today.
>
> So I figure it's best for me to create a secure connection to that home
> over SSH (or even if not to "home", to some computer on a network I trust
> way more) and push all my traffic over that.
>
> I hope that explains what my rationale is, and I hope it seems reasonable.
>
> -- Asheesh
With ssh and sshfs support pretty solid in Ubuntu, I'm finding most of
my home network traffic is encrypted even without the WPA. At the
proverbial airport, I do a tunnel to a home box with:

ssh -D 19999 user at domain.example.com

then point Firefox at port 19999 on localhost. There's a nice Firefox
addon called QuickProxy that turns the proxy setting in Firefox on and
off with a single click of a status bar icon to make this easier.

-Dave
http://trygnulinux.com/