[sf-lug] sending mail through SSH port forwarding

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Wed Nov 26 14:04:45 PST 2008

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Rick Moen wrote:

>> Yup, me too.  For some reason, I tend to not-trust the wireless network on
>> a per-application basis; my web browsing is secured using SSH SOCKS5
>> tunnels, and SMTP separately over these on-demand SSH connections.
>
> There's always a non-zero chance of a spammer parking in our driveway
> and pumping out spam from our household IP space over our wireless LAN
> -- but my monitors would detect that, and I'm prepared to carry out
> prompt denial of service via baseball bat.  ;->

Well, I do it that way so that my policy is the same "at home" as it "when
roaming."  I don't think people have cracked the WPA in my home (although,
sure, it's possible, no need to tell me it's possible), but I really don't
trust the random airport wifi I was using earlier today.

So I figure it's best for me to create a secure connection to that home
over SSH (or even if not to "home", to some computer on a network I trust
way more) and push all my traffic over that.

I hope that explains what my rationale is, and I hope it seems reasonable.

-- Asheesh.

--
Your boss climbed the corporate ladder, wrong by wrong.