[sf-lug] sending mail through SSH port forwarding

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 26 14:58:15 PST 2008

Quoting Asheesh Laroia (asheesh at asheesh.org):

> Well, I do it that way so that my policy is the same "at home" as it "when
> roaming."

Not surprisingly, I do likewise:  WAPs and home and WAPs elsewhere are
equally not to be trusted.  (And I'm especially amused at people who
actually trust particular MAC addresses and not others.  It's like
they don't know what "ifconfig eth0 hw ether [MAC]" does.)

Stuff whose privacy/authentication matters goes over ssh/ssl, with known
keys.  FWIW, my system has no mail delivery agents:  I get to mail by
ssh'ing to the MTA box's shell, doing "screen -dr", and lo! /usr/bin/mutt's
already running.  No relaying, forwarding, etc.  Works for Me<tm>.