[sf-lug] LAN/WAN monitoring

David Sterry david at sterryit.com
Wed Nov 26 14:04:29 PST 2008

Personally, I would fire up tcpdump -n -i eth0 (or whatever interface
you want to look at) and watch it until I'm satisfied at the source of
my network traffic. If you want to see the contents of the packets, you
can add the -X -s 0 which will print out the hex and ascii of the
packets. If I wanted to build a monitor on that, I'd probably write a
script to look for things outside of what I consider normal. Going
further, snort might be an option. Using this I was able to id an
infected windows box and clean it up. You'll probably just find your
boxen are broadcasting arp requests to make sure who has what ip.

-One of the assembled