[sf-lug] LAN/WAN monitoring

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 13:51:16 PST 2008

--- On Wed, 11/26/08, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] sending mail through SSH port forwarding
> To: sf-lug at linuxmafia.com
> Date: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 11:02 AM
> Quoting Alex Kleider (a_kleider at yahoo.com):
>
> > Rick, may I ask for specifics as to which
> "monitors" do that?, alex
> > (i.e. detect unauthorized/uninvited use of your
> +/-wireless network)
>
> Sure, you can ask.  ;->
>
> I have a better idea:  Rather than my posting in public the
> details of
> my house's particular LAN/WAN monitoring, you can ask
> the assembled how
> they might solve that problem.

Dear 'Assembled,'
may I ask how you might solve this.
Context: 1. in reference to the above ... and ...
2. What made me take note of this particular thread is that when I see the lights blinking on my network switch I often wonder how can I find out who/what process is carrying on the "conversation" and with "whom."
..not just on the wireless but on the network in general.

thanks
alex

ps, Rick, is it correct to assume that you were reluctant to answer because knowing how you monitor your network would give an intruder
a head start on thwarting it?