[sf-lug] installing ubuntu but wanting a fixed ip address

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 10:30:57 PST 2008

--- On Wed, 11/5/08, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:
> for a command-line approach, what you did
> seems right. you're not complaining about
> too much typing, are you?
No not at all. I'm just surprised that I could make the GUI method work.

>    below i copied from an internet-available
> tutorial on creating a static IP address
> for an ubuntu host:
>
> # The primary network interface
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 192.168.0.100
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         network 192.168.0.0
>         broadcast 192.168.0.255
>         gateway 192.168.0.1

The above is essentially what I did within /etc/network/interfaces
but I also had to make entries in /etc/resolv.conf before name resolution would take place. The default file was empty.
After doing that, I had to force reading of these files with an
sudo ifup eth0
which I stuck into /etc/init.d/rc_local (I think this path is correct, I'm not on site to be able to check.)
for lack of a better place to put it.