[sf-lug] installing ubuntu but wanting a fixed ip address

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Wed Nov 5 10:34:50 PST 2008

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008, Alex Kleider wrote:

Due to this "auto" line:

>> auto eth0

> After doing that, I had to force reading of these files with an
> sudo ifup eth0

..."ifup eth0" will happen at boot.

To show this, remove your rc_local line, and then reboot.  eth0 will be up
just fine.

Also, rc_local (isn't it rc.local?) is run as root, so the extra "sudo" is
unnecessary and meaningless.

I agree with Jim that you should definitely not need to hand-muck with
/etc/resolv.conf, let alone its attributes!

-- Asheesh.

--
Q:	What do you call a blind pre-historic animal?