[sf-lug] installing ubuntu but wanting a fixed ip address

jim jim at well.com
Wed Nov 5 09:41:50 PST 2008

   for a command-line approach, what you did
seems right. you're not complaining about
too much typing, are you?

   below i copied from an internet-available
tutorial on creating a static IP address
for an ubuntu host:

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.100
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        gateway 192.168.0.1

   i used the above on my machine (slightly
adjusted for my LAN) without editing
resolv.conf or rc.local and the machine
works fine behind the linksys router that
sits as gateway to the internet.