[sf-lug] installing ubuntu but wanting a fixed ip address

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Wed Nov 5 08:17:01 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 21:42 -0800, Alex Kleider wrote:
> I spent the evening installing Ubuntu 8.10 (while listening to the election results) but not without difficulties (with regard to Ubuntu, not the election:-) that I think do not speak well for Ubuntu.
> I'd be interested in others' comments.
> I wanted a fixed IP address for this machine.
> To achieve this I ended up having to edit the following files,each in the way indicated:
> /etc/resolv.conf : nameserver line(s) and making this file immutable
> /etc/network/interfaces: static, address, netmask, default, etc
> /etc/init.d/rc.local: added line ifup eth0
> Things now seem to be working but surely there must (or should be) an easier way.
> "I'll take my answer off the air."

This was a stock Ubuntu 8.10 install? If so, and you're using Gnome,
there would be a network manager icon in the top panel. Just right click
on that and there's an "Edit Connections" option. You can add or edit
the connection you're interested in, and choose the "IPv4 Settings" -
you'll then have the choice of "Method: Manual" and you can enter the
details you want.

Were the installation difficulties you're talking about related to the
network settings or something else?

Cheers, Tom